[Marxism] Now that I know...

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 3 11:10:57 MDT 2008

james daly wrote:

> We therefore urge all our members, supporters, allies and working people in
> general to defy the regime’ intimidation and go out and vote in the election
> for Tsvangirai.

Of course, James neglects to point out that he learned of this quote
from Stephen Gowans's diatribe against the ISO and all other enemies of
Mugabe. Here's Gowans's conclusion:

"The battle in Zimbabwe today is between the democracy of popular land
ownership and self-rule and the dictatorship of rule by outsiders
working through proxies; between the justice of Zimbabweans reclaiming
the land that was stolen from them and the injustice of sanctions;
between the right of struggle for national independence and the wrong of
neocolonial oppression."

It is too bad that James is too demure to state his obvious sympathy for
Gowans's analysis overall. This is the same Gowans who once wrote:

"The anti-Mugabe screed is a replay of the Trotskyite narrative about
pure revolutionaries opposing a revolution that has been hijacked and
betrayed by an unworthy power-mad monster (Stalin being the Trotskyites'
archetype.) In this view, all revolutions are corrupt and must be
overthrown – that is, all but the one that will never happen.

"Trotskyites have always been useful to Washington and London: many are
reliably against the same revolutions (though for different reasons),
and therefore serve the useful function of whittling away at left support."

Full: http://www.raceandhistory.com/Zimbabwe/2007/0804.html

Stalintern indeed.