[Marxism] We are Together

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jul 3 19:19:42 MDT 2008

Although I will have some critical comments to make about the mindset
that went into the making of the documentary "We Are Together", I
strongly urge New Yorkers to see this totally affecting documentary
about an orphanage in South Africa made up of children who have lost
parents to the AIDS epidemic. In order to cope with their losses and
also to connect to the outside world, they take part in traditional
choral singing of the kind that Ladysmith Black Mambazo made famous.

The children live at the Agape orphanage, which was founded by Gogo
"Grandma" Zodwa. When she was working as an HIV counselor, she found
that many of her clients were worried about what would happen to
their children when they were gone. So she established Agape to look
after these children.

One of these children, a featured singer in the chorus, is a 12 year
old girl named Slindile Moya who is really the star of the movie.
With a smile that lights up the entire screen when she is on camera,
you marvel at her ability to endure such a hard life. Not only has
she lost both parents, her brother is sick with AIDS and dies during
the movie. During the burial ceremony, Slindile and her siblings,
both those living with her at the orphanage and those old enough to
look after themselves, console each other with a beautiful hymn about
the eternal life to come. Until every human being lives in a world
free from poverty and horrible diseases like AIDS, it is
understandable that religion will continue to provide solace against
a heartless world.

full: http://louisproyect.wordpress.com/2008/07/04/we-are-together/