[Marxism] Now that I know...

james daly james.irldaly at ntlworld.com
Fri Jul 4 04:05:53 MDT 2008

----- Original Message -----

From: "Louis Proyect" <lnp3 at panix.com>

To: "James Daly" <james.irldaly at ntlworld.com>

Sent: Thursday, July 03, 2008 6:10 PM

Subject: Re: [Marxism] Now that I know...

: james daly wrote:

***************

Dear Lou,

Your increasingly bitter ad hominems, and your third person reference to me
in a post to someone else as "poor Daly", have joined other factors which
have made me feel most unwelcome on the list for a long time. An earlier
third person reference was to my alleged theocracy (no evidence given). I
did not think even off-list condolences on your mother's death would be
welcome.

The angel with a fiery sword has now demanded my credentials. I didn't think
they were necessary... but here goes.

I would call myself a Marxist (among other things), but I am not a
Trotskyist, nor a Stalinist, nor a Maoist -- nor a Council Communist,
Frankfurt School-er etc. etc. But I reserve the human and rational right to
(very fallibly) criticise them and all others claiming to be Marxists.

I believe (sic) that no one has a complete answer which would be the
scientific truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth, pointing
scientifically to "the next step" in a unilinear progress in enlightenment.
Reality is just too vast and complex and we only have partial insights, and
many attempts at enlightenment. There is one "right" thing to do *only* when
there is no good alternative. In general we should be looking for
enlightenment as to good things to do -- not the "right" thing.

I have posted material by Stephen Gowans when I have agreed with it --
perhaps I should have added something of my own, but it was in the spirit of
a subject line I put on one of them -- "Surely this should be taken for
granted by all Marxists". I have not read all of his writings, nor come
across specifically Maoist items as yet. I would simply have snipped
references to Trotskyism. But I agree with his defence of Zimbabwe,
including from imperialist-funded organisations.

By the way, I did not see the offending URL

http://www.raceandhistory.com/Zimbabwe/2007/0804.html

and I deplore and condemn its virulent anti-Trotskyism, which I did not
post.

I have learned a great deal from Marxmail, and enjoyed the comradely cyber
friendship. I hope that continues.

Comradely,

Poor Daly