[Marxism] [Pen-l] We are Together

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 4 08:14:50 MDT 2008

>>Until every human being lives in a world free from poverty and
>>horrible diseases like AIDS, it is understandable that religion will
>>continue to provide solace against a heartless world.
>

>I notice the nods to religion in your recent writings... is this a
>recent turn? Am I reading too much?
>
>         --ravi
>

>P.S: I consider the "nods to religion" a good thing.

Well, I did point out to my wife shortly after watching it that the
Zulus took turns putting a handful of dirt into the fallen brother's
grave, just as was the case at my mother's funeral. I don't believe
in supernatural forces, but I am learning more and more about the
social uses of religion which are not uniformly reactionary.

Btw, the movie just opened up at the Cinema Village in NYC.