[Marxism] Zimbabwe - a blockaded country

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 4 09:20:46 MDT 2008

Walter Lippmann wrote:
>While not as strict as its blockade of Cuba, Washington does have a
>blockade in place against Zimbabwe. It's purpose is to pressure the
>president of Zimbabwe out of office and replace Mugabe with a
>president more acceptable to Washington, London and others of their
>ilk. It is this which should be first in the minds of people who
>call themselves Marxists and who live in the countries which are
>conducting such a blockade against a third world country.

We must oppose sanctions against Zimbabwe, just as Trotsky opposed
any attempts to economically destabilize the USSR in the 20s and 30s.
But that does not obligate us to become propagandists for ZANU-PF
like Stephen Gowans. Our model should be Leon Trotsky when it comes
to the question of beleaguered states run by enemies of the working class.

>This is not to say that Mugabe is Mr. Nice Guy, but is he any worse
>than Haile Selassie, or any other Third World leader whose under
>attack from the imperialist powers? While verbal abuse is too often
>a staple of what passes for political discussion and debate on the
>net, it would be a much better thing to keep such dialogue as takes
>place on such lists as this focused on the political issues
>involved. The use of such terms as "Stalintern" do have a political
>meeting. It's an example of red-baiting in lieu of discussion. It's
>a term which goes back to the 1930s, a far as a quick search could
>find. It's supposed to generate an instinctive, emotionally-laden
>kind of revulsion against a rejected viewpoint. Walter Lippmann
>Seattle, Washington

I have no idea what other term except Stalinist can apply to sewage
of the sort that Gowans wrote about the "Trotskyites" acting as tools
of the West.