[Marxism] REBELION: The FARC had Already Expressed Willingness to Liberate the Hostages

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 4 15:51:50 MDT 2008

Joaquin wrote:
>On a day when every other daily paper in Latin America (and many more
>throughout the world) gave front-page coverage to the hostages having
>been freed, Granma buried it on the inside pages, preferring to
>feature instead a meeting of Cuba's national assembly president with
>Lula and a 35-year-old July 26 speech by Fidel.

For what it's worth, a couple of members of the Cuban Academy of
Sciences were on Marxmail in 1998 when the list began. They held a
very dim view of the FARC for the same sorts of reasons alluded to
here. This was before we had electronic archives so I can't refer you
to their exact words. I was more hopeful about the FARC about that
time but not nearly so much now. Basically I have been influenced in
my thinking by Anthony from Bogota who is a keen observer of
Colombian politics. If you search for "Anthony" and "FARC" at
http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/index.htm, this is the
sort of thing you will be able to read:

http://archives.econ.utah.edu/archives/marxism/2005w52/msg00204.htm