[Marxism] UK Ministers accused over return of refugees to Zimbabwe

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 4 22:51:12 MDT 2008

(London and Washington are making their contributions
toward ridding Zimbabwe of the Mugabe government as
we see here, where they are doing their best to add
an additional destabilizing element to the country at
this conjuncture. It's sort of like the wet-foot,
dry-foot policy Washington applies to Cubans caught
at sea. They are sent back to Cuba in hopes that in
their frustrated dissatisfaction, they will add to
the number of discouraged, demoralized elements who
don't work at jobs and who complain all of the time.
It would be interesting to know if any of the leftist
opponents of Mugabe have supported these protests.

(Take the Current Green Left Weekly, one of many
campaigners against the Zimbabwean government, and
which has quite a few articles on Zimbabwe posted.
None about the imperialist pressure on Zimbabwe:
http://www.greenleft.org.au/2008/756/39062 )

Ministers accused over return of refugees to Zimbabwe
By Ben Russell and Nigel Morris

Saturday, 28 June 2008

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/ministers-accused-over-return-of-refugees-to-zimbabwe-856070.html

Ministers were accused of "breathtaking double standards" for
attempting to send thousands of failed asylum-seekers back to
Zimbabwe, despite the government-sponsored violence there.

Campaigners expressed horror that the Home Office is pressing ahead
with a High Court battle to deport up to 13,000 Zimbabweans despite
warnings they face persecution if they are returned to their homeland
because they have sought asylum in Britain.

Refugee groups will stage a final attempt on Wednesday to appeal
against a ruling that could allow ministers to begin deportations.

Earlier this week, Gordon Brown denounced Robert Mugabe's regime as a
"criminal cabal", while the Foreign Office warned against all travel
to Zimbabwe. But No 10 yesterday told campaigners they "expect
shortly to be in a position to enforce the return of those
unsuccessful Zimbabwean asylum-seekers who have been found not to
need the protection of the UK yet refuse to leave voluntarily".

Kate Allen, director of Amnesty International UK, said: "Gordon Brown
has said 'Britain will not shirk our responsibilities to the people
of Zimbabwe' and that includes those who have come here seeking our
protection. No one should be sent back to Zimbabwe at the moment."

The Home Office has been battling in court for almost three years to
win the right to deport failed Zimbabwean asylum-seekers. Next week's
hearing in the Court of Appeal centres on a woman known only as HS –
her identity is protected by an anonymity order. A doctor, she faces
removal even though her brother has been allowed to settle in the UK
because of his involvement with the opposition MDC.

Sarah Harland, co-ordinator of the Zimbabwe Association in Britain,
said: "I think the double standards are breathtaking. It would be
insane to send people back at this time."

A government source said there were no "immediate" plans to enforce
returns to Zimbabwe. A spokeswoman for the UK Border Agency said: "We
have made clear our grave concerns about the appalling human rights
situation in Zimbabwe, and continue to press for an end to abuses. We
will continue to provide protection for any asylum-seekers that we or
an independent judge deems in need of protection. That's a proud
tradition in our country and we intend to honour it."

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"