[Marxism] The ’60s Begin to Fade as Liberal Professors Retire

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Sat Jul 5 09:58:28 MDT 2008

On Sat, Jul 5, 2008 at 6:46 AM, Lance Murdoch <lancemurdoch at gmail.com> wrote:

>  Most of the South (and
> East) Asians, with relatives back home connected enough to get their
> sons in these schools, were in Electrical Engineering, Computer
> Science, Physics and the like.
>
> Just to give you an example that springs to mind since he has been in
> the industry chatter of late - Dare Obasanjo is the son of former
> Nigerian dictator Olusegun Obasanjo.  That was good enough to get him
> into the US News and World Report 35th top university in the US -
> Georgia Tech.

It is calumnious to suggest that the South and East Asians who get
admitted to PhD programs in US universities in natural sciences or
engineering, do so mostly because of "relatives back home connected
enough to get their sons in these schools". I think Lause's
explanantion is much more on the mark. These disciplines are simply
more international in character, where local knowledge / social
capital matters less.