[Marxism] UPDATE FROM THE ELECTRONIC INTIFADA

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Mon Jul 7 13:04:26 MDT 2008

http://electronicIntifada.net

Palestine :  Development:

GAZA LOCKED IN DESPITE TRUCE
By Adam Morrow and Khaled  Moussa al-Omrani, The Electronic Intifada, 7 July
2008

CAIRO (IPS) -  Despite a torrent of mutual recriminations,
the fragile truce between Israel  and Palestinian
resistance faction Hamas survived into its third  week.
Israel, however, has been slow to fulfill its pledge -- as
laid down  in an Egypt-brokered ceasefire agreement -- to
allow desperately-needed  humanitarian supplies into the
outdoor prison that is the Gaza Strip.  "Repeated closures
of the border crossings [by Israel] ... are indicative  of
Israel's lack of seriousness regarding the Egyptian
ceasefire  agreement," Ismail Haniyeh told reporters Friday
on 4  July.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article9674.shtml

Palestine  : Diaries: Live from Palestine:

MY NEW BIRTHDAY
By Areej Ja'fari, Live  from Palestine, 5 July 2008

I am a third generation of the Palestinian  Nakba, the
forced expulsion of Palestinians from their homeland by
Zionist  forces. I now feel that I am a very lucky person.
I never felt lucky before  my new birthday: the day I
visited my destroyed original village of Deir  Rafat, where
my grandfather and his family lived before they were
forced  out in 1948. Areej Ja'fari writes from Deheisheh
refugee  camp.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article9662.shtml

Palestine  : Human Rights:

REPORT: 348 PALESTINIANS EXTRA-JUDICIALLY EXECUTED SINCE  SEPT. 2000
Report, PCHR, 4 July 2008

The Palestinian Centre for Human  Rights published a new
report entitled "Extra-judicial executions ...  Official,
Declared Israeli Policy" covering Israeli  extra-judicial
executions against Palestinians during the period from  1
August 2006 till 30 June 2008. The report is the ninth of
its kind in a  special  series.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article9673.shtml

Palestine  : Opinion/Editorial:

UNITE TO NEGOTIATE A REAL TRUCE
By Dr. Eyad  al-Sarraj, The Electronic Intifada, 4 July 2008

Five days into the long  awaited Gaza ceasefire, Israel
allowed the entry of tissues and sanitary  napkins into
Gaza as a form of "good will." Simultaneously, it carried
out  an early morning raid against a student hostel in
Nablus, killing two  Palestinians in their beds. Dr. Eyad
al-Sarraj comments on what it will take  for a permanent
lifting of the siege and resisting of Israeli  colonial
designs.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article9672.shtml

Palestine  : Human Rights:

CRITICS SEE VENDETTA IN AL-ARIAN'S LEGAL LIMBO
By Ali  Gharib, The Electronic Intifada, 3 July 2008

WASHINGTON (IPS) -  Palestinian activist and former
university professor Sami al-Arian was  arraigned Monday in
US federal court on two counts of criminal contempt  for
his refusal to testify in a grand jury investigation of a
Northern  Virginia Muslim think-tank. The indictment is the
latest episode of a long,  Kafka-esque process that has
violated nearly every tenet of al-Arian's plea  agreement
following the end of his first trial in 2005, and kept
al-Arian  in prison for over five  years.

http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article9670.shtml

--
ABOUT  US: The Electronic Intifada (EI), found at
http://electronicIntifada.net,  publishes news, commentary, analysis, and reference materials about the

To find out about other  EI/eIraq lists available, see:
http://lists.electronicintifada.net/mail.cgi

SUPPORT OUR PROJECT: Our  work needs funding. We accept donations via credit
card and cheque. U.S.  donations are tax deductible. More information can be
found at:  http://electronicintifada.net/v2/article2162.shtml

“We have it in our power to begin the world  over again” –Thomas Paine