[Marxism] Trawling the oceans to exhaustion

Shane Mage shmage at pipeline.com
Tue Jul 8 08:19:02 MDT 2008

On Jul 8, 2008, at 9:49 AM, S. Artesian wrote:

> So the "logic" is:
>
> 1. Oil is running out.
>
> 2. Protests by fisherman (and truckers I guess, and soon enough
> everybody as
> the lights go out) are selfish, short-sighted, useless.  And
> stupid.  It's
> like demanding the government do something about the amount of
> daylight.
>
> 3. The high price of oil is a good thing as it will delay climate
> change,
> and allow fish to replenish themselves.
>
> 4. The end of oil is probably a better thing as there will an even
> longer
> delay to climate change and even more fish.
>
> 5. The problem is the greed of the fishermen and not, of course,
> capitalism.

Yes, the problem is not working fishermern, it is giant, state-
supported capitalist firms operating huge trawlers.  Is it Luddism to
insist on a return to the artisanal fishing methods of a mere 60 years
ago?

> There is a point of demarcation between Marxism and "radicalism,"
> where the
> latter converges with a sort of reactionary naturalism.  Monbiot's
> "logic"
> is just such a convergence.

Shane Mage

"Thunderbolt steers all things...it consents and does not consent to
be called Zeus."

Herakleitos of Ephesos