[Marxism] What really happened in Colombia

Joaquín Bustelo jbustelo at gmail.com
Tue Jul 8 17:44:20 MDT 2008

On Mon, Jul 7, 2008 at 10:47 PM, chegitz guevara <absynthe at gmail.com> wrote:
> In stories of other hostages who have been released, it's generally
> the case that until the last minute, they have no idea they are about
> to be released. Not always, but in most of the stories I've read.

Yes, but in this case it went beyond "the last minute." The hostages
were boarded handcuffed onto the helicopters and the FARC  comandante
that accompanied them was attacked and physically subdued by the army
soldiers on the chopper (pretending to be NGO workers of some sort).
This does not exclude the theory that someone in FARC --possibly even
the commander that was subdued, he is a likely candidate as he was
overall in charge of these hostages-- was bribed/blackmailed or both
by the government. But it does in my view rule out the interpretation
that the FARC as such --its top leadership-- accepted a deal on the
hostages and ordered their release.

If THAT had been the case, the FARC troops would not have handcuffed
the prisoners upon handing them over to the group that was accepting
their release, and an important FARC commander would not have been
aboard the helicopter.

Joaquín