[Marxism] "Them Belly Full, But WE Hungry" 3-Day Introduction to Marxism

kazembe at gmail.com kazembe at gmail.com
Wed Jul 9 16:13:04 MDT 2008

The Brecht Forum

451 West Street (Between Bank and Bethune)

212-242-4201

www.brechtforum.org

Friday, July 11
9:00 am - 6:00 pm

3-DAY INTENSIVE INTRODUCTION TO MARXISM
JULY 11-13

"Them belly full, but we hungry" <http://brechtforum.org/intensive08?bc=>

The Global Food Crisis & What Capitalism Has To Do With It
Teachers & Organizers include: Sam Anderson, Kazembe Balagun, Humberto
Brown, Vivek Chibber, Lisa Maya Knauer, Roberto Lovato, Fred Magdoff, Randy
Martin, Liz Mestres, Bertell Ollman, Merle Ratner, Heather Rogers, Cleo
Silvers, Bill Tabb, Lincoln Van Sluytman, Rick Wolff & Others TBA

As global warming, soaring food prices, war and racism wrack the planet,
resistance movements from Nepal to the Niger Delta to Chiapas are linking
the looming global crisis to one source: capitalism. But questions remain:
Why is the most productive social system humanity has ever created also so
destructive? What are the alternatives to capitalism? How do we get there
from here?

Using the global food crisis as a starting point, "Them Belly Full, But We
Hungry" is a three-day introduction to marxism that seeks to unpack how
capitalism works—to get behind surface appearances and see why capitalism
must put profit before basic human needs. It will also examine the
intersections of revolutionary movements and people's struggles against the
ravages of capitalism and its three pillars, homophobia, racism, and sexism.
The intensive is designed for workers, students, artists and activists who
are interested in not only understanding the world, but changing it.

Marx brought a dialectical approach to participating in social change. He
recognized that an understanding of the world cannot come from passive
contemplation alone, that active struggle is necessary. Yet he also insisted
that analysis, critical reflection--learning from our own experience as well
as those of others--and struggle to make our concepts and ways of seeing
both clear and accessible are as important as political engagement in the
streets.

As Bob Marley's song goes: *"Them belly full, but we hungry… Now the weak
must get strong"*

*Friday July 11*

9:00 – 9:30 Registration
9:30 – 11:00 *Colonialism* with Lincoln Van Sluytman
11:00 – 1:00 *Global Food Crisis* with Fred Magdoff
1,00 – 2:00 LUNCH
2:00 – 4:00 *Marx & Capital* with Randy Martin
4:15 – 6:00 *Capitalism & Waste* with Heather Rogers

*Saturday July 12*

9:00 – 10:30 *Workshop* with Bertell Ollman
11:00 – 1:00 *Globalization* with Bill Tabb
1:00 – 2:00 LUNCH
2:00 – 4:00 *Women and the Food Crisis* with Lisa Maya Knauer
4:00 – 6:00 *Race Today* with Sam Anderson, Humberto Brown & Cleo Silvers

*Sunday July 13*

9:00 – 11:00 *Credit & Finance Capital* with Rick Wolff ((Advance Reading)
11:00 – 1:00 *Capital & Class* with Vivek Chibber
1:00 – 2:00 LUNCH
2:00 – 4:00 *Is the Bronx Still Burning?* with John Kim, Rachel Lineart &
Terry Marshall
4:00 – 6:00 *Evaluation & Graduation*
Sliding scale: $75-$125
Free for Brecht Forum Subscribers