[Marxism] query

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Thu Jul 10 11:27:36 MDT 2008

Louis Proyect wrote:
> We have a 35k limit on posts, including crosspostings such as this, but
> we generally encourage a few paragraphs and a url instead. I do make
> exceptions for articles from the NY Times, etc. that can only be read if
> you register (free) with the newspaper. Some people think that long
> articles are a hardship for comrades with dial-up connections in the 3rd
> world while Patrick Bond, who is based in South Africa, claims that it
> is much harder for him to read the articles on the web than as email. So
> there really is no hard-and-fast rule.
You don't get it Louis: the critique is that it's far far far easier for
me to download email in one session (using Thunderbird) and then log off
email, than to sign back on when I read your post, and then am tempted
by your few 'graf teasers, and then click the URL, and then
painstakingly download the article - as my connection here in Durban
usual runs at 20 kbs.

So for any of you comrades violating Louis's strange laws of soundbite
reading, willing to post a full article - including longer academic ones
which tragically marxism-list doesn't cater for (Louis has done many
brilliant journal articles himself) - consider me a big big fan!