[Marxism] 2 Counterpunch articles on Obama

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 11 11:29:35 MDT 2008

Counterpunch, July 11, 2008

Vilifying Black Men to Win Favor with the Man
Why Does Barack Obama Hate My Family?

By KEVIN ALEXANDER GRAY

Addressing a congregation at the Apostolic Church of God, one of
Chicago's largest black churches, on Father's Day, Barack Obama said:

"Too many fathers are M.I.A., too many fathers are AWOL, missing from
too many lives and too many homes. They have abandoned their
responsibilities, acting like boys instead of men."

This was his "Sister Souljah" moment. Just as Bill Clinton during his
1992 campaign tried to reassure whites that he wasn't too cozy with
blacks by denouncing a rapper, Obama was appealing to whites by
condemning his own.

Even so, I wasn’t surprised to hear him referred to black men as “boys.”

Obama has often taken to “playin’ blacks.” Playin’ in blackspeak means
to fool or use a person or persons. (George Bush’s selling of a war on
the Iraqi people to America is an example that readily comes to mind or
- “Bush played us cheap" or “he played us for fools.” )

Early in the campaign year, Obama used one of the oldest racial
stereotypes in a speech to black South Carolina state legislators: "In
Chicago, sometimes when I talk to the black chambers of commerce, I say,
'You know what would be a good economic development plan for our
community would be if we make sure folks weren't throwing their garbage
out of their cars'.” Translation; black people are dirty and lazy.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/gray07112008.html

---

Counterpunch, July 11, 2008

Delusions About Obama
Worse Than McCain?

By MIKE WHITNEY

Every four years, liberals and progressives are expected to set aside
their beliefs and stand foursquare behind the Democratic Party
candidate. This ritual is invariably performed in the name of party
unity. It doesn't matter if the candidate is a smooth-talking politician
who's willing to toss his pastor of 20 years overboard for a few awkward
comments, or whether he refuses to defend basic civil liberties like the
4th amendment's right to privacy. All that matters is that there's a big
"D" following his name and that he shows he's willing to engage in some
meaningless verbal jousting with his Republican opponent.

full: http://www.counterpunch.org/whitney07112008.html