[Marxism] Political economy of the sell-out

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 11 14:31:12 MDT 2008

Professor emeritus Carrol Cox of the University of Illinois has
described the notion of Democratic Party “sell-out” as follows: “Talk of
sell-out is a perfect illustration of my image yesterday of the DP as an
abusive husband whose wife keeps thinking that isn’t really him, that he
really loves her but is not true to himself.” This is pretty close to my
analogy, which is that of a father who sexually abuses his children. In
either case, there will be a tendency to deny that the problem exists.
For people who become radicalized, myself included, there is a kind of
epiphany that the husband or father is a criminal and not somebody
deserving of support. Once that happens, you can’t go home again.

Since Jimmy Carter’s presidency, we have been going through a kind of
quadrennial ritual in which the Democratic candidate is supported as a
“lesser evil” rather than as a positive good, such as was the case with
George McGovern in 1972. To show how far things have come, try to
imagine Barack Obama saying anything remotely similar about Iraq that