[Marxism] Petras' criticism of Fidel

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Fri Jul 11 20:07:01 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jul 11, 2008 at 7:32 PM, Joaquín Bustelo <jbustelo at gmail.com> wrote:

> I originally wrote:
> "The central difference between Petras and Fidel is who is the enemy.
> For Fidel, the real enemy of the Colombian people --and of all the
> peoples of what Martí called "our America"-- is U.S. imperialism. This
> concept runs like a red thread throughout Fidel's reflections, and not
> just on Colombia."
>
> I think it was fairly blatant that I agreed with this view. Notice
> that I identify the role of U.S. imperialism as the "central" issue.

This attitude is problematic, though. In 1975-76, when Indira Gandhi
instituted emergency rule in India and started governing
autocratically. some Indian communists nevertheless supported her
because she was (at least to some extent) opposing US imperialism in
her foreign policy.

On similar grounds, one can end up supporting Mugabe also....