[Marxism] [Fwd: COSATU Ponders How Hard to Press Mugabe]

Patrick Bond pbond at mail.ngo.za
Fri Jul 11 23:09:24 MDT 2008

(Thanks for this, Walter. It's the first time we've heard the remark below, which will probably set off quite a serious debate now.)

Although Zimbabweans didn't plan the embargo, they supported it.
Speaking in a telephone interview from Harare, Mr. Matombo said that
many of his members are too brutalized by Zimbabwean forces to
organize effectively. That is why he will push his group to support
stronger international intervention, despite the short-term pain that
a blockade or other action could cause to Zimbabwe's poor.

"We are beaten and defenseless. It's up to the international
community to help us," says Mr. Matombo. "It's very significant what
Cosatu is doing. I'd call on them not just to close [Beitbridge]
once, but keep it closed."