[Marxism] Petras' criticism of Fidel

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at mac.com
Sat Jul 12 04:22:29 MDT 2008

Luko Wilms wrote:

<No, not at all. I understand Joaquin's argument as being the same as
  Fidel Castro's and mine: that the FARC do and did not have a
  perspective for taking power, but use their military might only as a
  pressure group. You can read it in their communiqué on the Betancourt
  release: they keep their prisoners as hostages for the release of
  political prisoners of the regime, instead of thinking what to do for
  taking power.

  I must always think what Carlos Tablada told me from Che Guevaras
  visit to Colombia (before joining the Cuban revolution): he visited
  the office of the Colombian CP, and asked them: how do you think to
  take power? His hosts didn't know what Che was talking about.>

I'm not so sure that the FARC are uninterested in taking power
eventually. I recall recent discussions with a few friends in the
FMLN, (back in the day they were in Villalobos' militarist ERP
faction) who claim Marulanda had developed a plan to build the army
another 40,000 strong and take the country by sectors. Whether or not
this is true I have not the slightest idea.

BTW, the house band for the FARC has some pretty good music on their
web page, mostly salsa and cumbia, but when I checked the website is
down.

Greg McDonald