[Marxism] Peru's General Strike

Greg McDonald sabocat59 at mac.com
Sun Jul 13 06:41:02 MDT 2008

PERU
General strike shakes Peru

Kiraz Janicke

Tens of thousands of workers and peasants rallied across Peru on July
9 as part of a general strike called by the General Confederation of
Workers (CGTP) against the neoliberal policies of the government of
President Alan Garcia.

The protesters were demanding a general wage increase, a reduction in
fuel prices, a reversal of the government’s privatisation policies
and an end to political repression and corruption by the government.

Left-wing political parties and left-nationalist leader Ollanta
Humala, who nearly won the presidency in 2006, also supported the
strike.

In order to control the protests, the government mobilised 100,000
police across the country and also brought the military out onto the
streets. Clashes erupted in southern Peru as police moved to break up
protests that were blocking major highways, arresting 216 people.

The strike unfolded peacefully in the capital, Lima, and most other
areas — except in some rural areas such as Huancavelica where a local
government building was set on fire and the city of Madre de Dios in
the Amazon region, where a government building was also burnt.

In the regional city of Cuzco — heartland of the opposition to the
Garcia government — more than 20,000 workers, students and peasants
marched against the neoliberal policies of the government chanting,
“Urgent, urgent, we need a new president”.

The strike comes on the back of a nationwide miners strike on June 30
called by the Federation of Miners of Peru for better wages and
against the reduction of mining royalties, as well as rolling strikes
in the countryside against a new law that allows the government to
privatise vast tracts of land and clear off some 7000 traditional
indigenous and peasant communities.

“The government wants to liquidate us, to disappear the communities
so they can hand over our land to the foreign investors, the big
landowners and the mining companies … And with the free trade
agreement everything is going to be worse … this government is a
disgrace”, Julio Pumayari, a community leader from Yupango, near
Cuzco, told the July 9 Pagina 12.

The government tried to downplay the strike, describing it as a
“failure”, but with his approval rating sinking to 30%, Garcia is
Latin America’s least popular president.

According to Pagina 12, Efrain Yepez, general secretary of the Cuzco
Defense Front said: “If the government doesn’t listen we will
radicalise our protests. We will go for an indefinite general strike.”

From: International News, Green Left Weekly issue #758 16 July 2008.
Subscribe to GLW 7 issues for $10

Related Stories:
Agricultural crisis rocks Arge...