[Marxism] torture and the rule of law

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Sun Jul 13 10:49:57 MDT 2008

clip from Glenn Greenwald's blog at salon.com

"I never thought I would say this, but I think it might, in fact, be time for
 the United States to be held internationally to a tribunal. I never thought,
in  my lifetime, that I would say that, that we have become like Serbia,
where an  international tribunal has to come to force us to apply the rule of law.
I never  imagined that a Congress, a Democratic-led Congress would refuse to
take  actions, even with the preeminent institution of the Red Cross saying,
this is  clearly torture and torture is a war crime. They are still refusing to
take  meaningful action."
So, we've come to this ignoble moment where we could be forced into a
tribunal and forced to face the rule of law that we've refused to apply to
ourselves.
It will never stop being jarring that Pulitzer-Prize-winning revelations from
 the New York Times that the President and the telecom industry were
committing felonies for years culminated in the full-scale protection of the
lawbreakers and retroactive legalization of the criminality by the "opposition
party" which controls the Congress.
One cannot coherently sanction or even acquiesce to serious government
lawbreaking and then feign outrage over illegal torture and other war crimes.  The
sanctioning of government illegality is precisely what leads to abuses like
the American torture regime. Those who have spent the last seven years scoffing
 at Unserious, Hysterical objections to Bush lawlessness are the very people
who  have created this climate that they will now pretend to find so
upsetting. The  "rule of law" isn't some left-wing dogma that is the province of
Leftist  radicals and hysterics. It's the cornerstone of every civilized and free
society  ...
full article --
<http://www.salon.com/opinion/greenwald/2008/07/12/torture/index.html>