[Marxism] Books for kids?

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Tue Jul 15 09:51:47 MDT 2008

If it's sci-fi and fantasy you're thinking of, then some of the books by
Guy Gavriel Kay are also good, particularly the Lion of Al Assam. I second
Pullman, who is excellent. Mieville might bore him: my son didn't think
much of his writing, although I like it. Octavia Butler is good,
particularly since her characters are often youth, and her books are
decidedly anti-racist and anti-capitalist (Mumia did a eulogy on her). Her
"Parable of the Sower" is good, for example. My son liked Persepolis
(speaking of which...) and was strongly affected by Maus. I'll ask him for
some suggestions, as well...