[Marxism] Obama says New Yorker insulted Muslim Americans

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Wed Jul 16 13:46:55 MDT 2008

Obama says New Yorker insulted Muslim Americans
By GLEN JOHNSON, Associated Press Writer
46 minutes ago

CHICAGO - Democrat Barack Obama said Tuesday that the New
Yorker magazine's satirical cover depicting him and his
wife as flag-burning, fist-bumping radicals doesn't bother
him but that it was an insult to Muslim Americans.

"You know, there are wonderful Muslim Americans all across
the country who are doing wonderful things," the
presidential candidate told CNN's Larry King. "And for this
to be used as sort of an insult, or to raise suspicions
about me, I think is unfortunate. And it's not what
America's all about."

Obama blamed himself for not being forceful enough in
challenging some of the rumors about him, including that he
is Muslim. Obama is Christian.

The son of a Kenyan father, Obama lived in the largely
Muslim nation of Indonesia as a child. He dealt with
similar questions in February after a photo surfaced of him
wearing traditional Kenyan clothing during a visit to
Africa in 2006.

The cover of the magazine, which hit newsstands Monday,
depicts Obama in traditional Muslim clothing — sandals,
robe and turban — while his wife, Michelle, has an assault
rifle slung over one shoulder and is dressed in camouflage
and combat boots with her hair in an Afro. A flag burns in
a fireplace behind them as they bump fists, and a portrait
of Osama bin Laden hangs above the mantel.

New Yorker Editor David Remnick told the Huffington Post
Web site the cover was chosen because it had something to
say.

When first asked about it on Sunday, Obama declined
comment. His spokesman, Bill Burton, said it was "tasteless
and offensive."

Obama said he's developed "a pretty thick skin" running for
president and has "seen and heard worse."

"I do think that, you know, in attempting to satirize
something, they probably fueled some misconceptions about
me instead," he said. "But, you know, that was their
editorial judgment. And as I said, ultimately, it's a
cartoon, it's not where the American people are spending a
lot of their time thinking about."

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080716/ap_on_el_pr/obama_new_yorker

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"