[Marxism] 'Tenured radical' tries to revive professors group

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 13:09:52 MDT 2008

I've been an AAUP member for years.  Local chapters can take adjuncts
and visiting faculty into the bargaining unit, which is the case here.
 However, that doesn't mean that they are going to have the same
benefits.  The best we've fought for is an improvement, which we've
gotten.  It matters a lot to those at the bottom, but it's a pittance
financially and in every other sense.

The real problem is that everyone who has privileges under this
monastic order wants to protect them against those who don't have
privileges.  As I've told my esteemed colleagues repeatedly,
semiliterature eighteenth century day laborers showed much greater
common sense in terms of addressing these questions than the American
professoriate.  In a field defined by petty considerations of turf,
rivalries, and personal jealousies, resolution of the structural
problem and the need for "solidarity" are not even acknowledged.

ML