[Marxism] 'Tenured radical' tries to revive professors group

Mike Friedman mikedf at amnh.org
Thu Jul 17 14:02:23 MDT 2008

This sounds about right. It's absolutely feudal. In CUNY schools, status
and duties (such as observations) put tenured faculty on the side of
administration.

Moreover, the problems adjuncts face aren't just a question of pay and
benefits. As Greg said, it's indentured servitude. Job security, at the
bottom of it all.

I've been blacklisted in two CUNY schools. In the first, I was fired
without any reason given, filed a grievance (I realize in many places,
adjuncts can't even do that), won a financial settlement and am banned
from working there. In the other, I rejected imposition of additional
hours and started to file a grievance over increased class size, and ---
*bang*. I can't work there anymore.

In the latter, the "unfavorable student evaluations" club came into play.
This in itself has led colleagues to lower standards in their classes,
with the aim of getting favorable student evaluations.

The patronal element also plays a solidarity-busting role. At the second
CUNY school mentioned above, the department chair was the wife of one of
my advisors, so I was expected to go along with the bullshit.