[Marxism] 'Tenured radical' tries to revive professors group

Mark Lause markalause at gmail.com
Thu Jul 17 15:07:19 MDT 2008

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists <ok.president+marxml at gmail.com> wrote:

> Why would anyone want to be a professor anyway? Marx never taught in a
> university. And look at what he accomplished. We should look to Marx
> as an example to emulate.

Why would anyone want to be a professor?

Hmmm.  I work around a lot less acidic materials than I used to and am
probably doing a lot less long-term damage to my body than I used to.
My chances of electrocution are significantly less.  Unless another
Skylab falls out of the blue, I'm far less likely to be squished by
tons of errant metal.  I have to spend several hours a week indoors in
a well-heated or well-air conditioned environment talking to people,
some of whom are actually interested in what I'm saying.

Of course, I have the advantage of offering the answer of someone with
blue-collar parents who didn't get past the eighth grade and of having
spent years as factory fodder myself.

More seriously, a professor's job beyond the bare minimum required can
be as time-consuming and as involved as you want to make it.  I've
never worked harder or put in longer hours.  I've written five books
in the last ten years and I'd like to think that each of them has
enriched our understanding of the development of our movement.

And I've got more in the works.  I've spent about seven hours today so
far (it's summer) editing a manuscript on revolutionary secret
societies in the mid-nineteenth century US.

If you are not independently wealthy or something, there is ABSOLUTELY
NO WAY that anyone could do this sort of thing without being a
professor.  In my mind, that's sufficient reason to want to be a
professor.

But it's like everything else, it's not for everybody.

ML