[Marxism] Six Questions for Jane Mayer, Author of The Dark Side

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Fri Jul 18 03:07:12 MDT 2008

By Scott Horton
Harper's

In a series of gripping articles, Jane Mayer has chronicled the Bush
Administration’s grim and furtive dealings with torture and has exposed both the
individuals within the administration who “made it happen” (a group that starts
with Vice President Cheney and his chief of staff, David Addington), the team
of  psychologists who put together the palette of techniques, and the Fox
television  program “24,” which was developed to help sell it to the American
public. In a  new book, The Dark Side, Mayer puts together the major conclusions
from  her articles and fills in a number of important gaps. Most
significantly, we  learn the details on the torture techniques and the drama behind the
fierce and  lingering struggle within the administration over torture, and we
learn that  many within the administration recognized the potential criminal
accountability  they faced over these torture tactics and moved frantically to
protect  themselves from possible future prosecution. I put six questions to
Jane Mayer  on the subject of her book, The Dark Side.

<http://harpers.org/archive/2008/07/hbc-90003234>

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.