[Marxism] Mountain Partisans: Guerrilla Warfare in the Southern Appalachians 1861-1865

Aaron aaron at mylists.fastmail.fm
Fri Jul 18 05:37:42 MDT 2008

By coincidence, I had started reading Carleton Beals' 1965 book,  <<War Within a War: The Confederacy Against Itself>>, a few days ago. Beals' work, which is a readable narrative rather than a scholarly history, portrays the resistance -- both active and passive -- to the confederacy as being a lot more widespread than than just the Southern Appalachians. Rather, there seems to have been widespread resistance among whites (as well as, unsurprisingly, Blacks), in every state, including Mississippi, far exceeding in every respect the better-known Northern resistance to conscription manifested most notoriously in the anti-Black anti-draft riots in New York in 1863.

Maybe other people on this list are familiar with Beals' book and with the subject in general and can shed mosre light on the topic.

 - Aaron