[Marxism] Review of book on William Whipple Warren, Ojibwe Leader

David Thorstad binesi at gvtel.com
Fri Jul 18 09:30:30 MDT 2008

The following is a link to my review of Theresa Schenck's book on
William Warren on the Red Lake Nation Web site. The review is being
published in the summer 2008 issue of /Ramsey County History/, journal
of the Ramsey County Historical Society. Warren was one of the most
important Native American figures in nineteenth-century Minnesota
history, though he is not well known by the general public or taught in
the schools. Also mentioned is the most colorful Ojibwe chief from that
period, Bugonegeshig (Hole-in-the-Day), about whom a definitive book has
been written by Anton Treuer (forthcoming). This year is the 150th
anniversary of the state of Minnesota, so there is increasing interest
in largely ignored--or distorted--aspects of its history. For instance,
next month, a book (subsidized by the state) will be released at a
chautauqua festival at Old Crossing Treaty Park with contributions from
local Native Americans, descendants of French immigrants and métis, and
others focusing on the 1863 Old Crossing Treaty, whereby the Pembina and
Red Lake bands of Ojibwe ceded 11 million acres of the most fertiile
land in the country to the whites (the Red River Valley). I would be
happy to send my article for that book to anyone who e-mails me asking
for it: "Land Grab: Ramsey vs. the Indians."
David

http://www.rlnn.com/ArtNov07/ThorstadReviewsLifeLettersTimesOjibweLeader.html