[Marxism] Telling the Truth About Class

Einde O'Callaghan einde at gmx.de
Sat Jul 19 17:21:27 MDT 2008

Carrol Cox wrote:

> David Picón Álvarez wrote:
>> Not sure if this is my Mail User Agent behaving badly, but I got some kind
>> of encoding for some characters on the article...
>>
> For several reasons I'm using a quite antique mail program, but it seems
> only recently that I too am getting posts (on idfferent lists) with
> stretches such as "identifiablecultural" -- which I presume
> represents a character which my mailer  won't translate? But are some
> with more 'reasonable' mailers also getting this?

I've got my Thunderbird switched to Plain Text and I've got these
strange codes too. I think this one - "identifiable" - is an "fi"
ligature and this one - "conflict" is an "fl" ligature, though
this is the first time I've come across such ligatures on the Net, at
least as far as I'm aware. Looking at the linked page I can see no
ligatures in the passage quoted - but looking at the source code these
ligatures are there. Why anybody would want to include them is a mystery
to me.

BTW – is simply the code for an n-dash.

Einde O'Calalghan