[Marxism] US perpetuates mass killings in Iraq

Nasir Khan naskha3 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 21 03:56:31 MDT 2008

http://sudhan.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/us-perpetuates-mass-killings-in-iraq/
http://nasir-khan.blogspot.com/2008/07/us-perpetuates-mass-killings-in-iraq.html
U.S. Perpetuates Mass Killings In Iraq

by Peter Phillips | Dissident Voice, July 19th, 2008

The United States is directly responsible for over one million Iraqi
deaths since the invasion five and half years ago. In a January 2008
report, a British polling group Opinion Research Business (ORB)
reports that, "survey work confirms our earlier estimate that over
1,000,000 Iraqi citizens have died as a result of the conflict which
started in 2003…. We now estimate that the death toll between March
2003 and August 2007 is likely to have been of the order of 1,033,000.
If one takes into account the margin of error associated with survey
data of this nature then the estimated range is between 946,000 and
1,120,000".

The ORB report comes on the heels of two earlier studies conducted by
Johns Hopkins University published in the Lancet medical journal that
confirmed the continuing numbers of mass deaths in Iraq. A study done
by Dr. Les Roberts from January 1, 2002 to March 18 2003 put the
civilian deaths at that time at over 100,000. A second study published
in the Lancet in October 2006 documented over 650,000 civilian deaths
in Iraq since the start of the US invasion. The 2006 study confirms
that US aerial bombing in civilian neighborhoods caused over a third
of these deaths and that over half the deaths are directly
attributable to US forces.

The now estimated 1.2 million dead, as of July 2008, includes
children, parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, cab drivers,
clerics, schoolteachers, factory workers, policemen, poets, healthcare
workers, day care providers, construction workers, babysitters,
musicians, bakers, restaurant workers and many more. All manner of
ordinary people in Iraq have died because the United States decided to
invade their country. These are deaths in excess of the normal
civilian death rate under the prior government.

The magnitude of these deaths is undeniable. The continuing occupation
by US forces guarantees a mass death rate in excess of 10,000 people
per month with half that number dying at the hands of US forces — a
carnage so severe and so concentrated at to equate it with the most
heinous mass killings in world history. This act has not gone
unnoticed.

Recently, Dennis Kucinich introduced a single impeachment article
against George W. Bush for lying to Congress and the American people
about the reasons for invading Iraq. On July 15, the House forwarded
the resolution to the Judiciary Committee with a 238 to 180 vote. That
Bush lied about weapons of mass destruction and Iraq's threat to the
US is now beyond doubt. Former US federal prosecutor Elizabeth De La
Vega documents the lies most thoroughly in her book U.S. v. Bush, and
numerous other researchers have verified Bush's untrue statements.

The American people are faced with a serious moral dilemma. Murder and
war crimes have been conducted in our name. We have allowed the
war/occupation to continue in Iraq and offered ourselves little choice
within the top two presidential candidates for immediate cessation of
the mass killings. McCain would undoubtedly accept the deaths of
another million Iraqi civilians in order to save face for America, and
Obama's 18-month timetable for withdrawal would likely result in
another 250,000 civilian deaths or more.

We owe our children and ourselves a future without the shame of mass
murder on our collective conscience. The only resolution of this
dilemma is the immediate withdrawal of all US troops in Iraq and the
prosecution and imprisonment of those responsible. Anything less
creates a permanent original sin on the soul of the nation for that we
will forever suffer.

Peter Phillips is a Professor of Sociology at Sonoma State University,
and Director of Project Censored, a media research organization. Read
other articles by Peter, or visit Peter's website.