[Marxism] Formatting (from a lurker)

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Mon Jul 21 06:41:38 MDT 2008

Aaron <aaron at mylists.fastmail.fm>:

 > My email client is Eudora 6.2.3 for Mac. It has the option of
 > automatically hard-wrapping one's text, but I wouldn't think of
 > using it as my default, since this list is the only place I have
 > any complaints about text that doesn't have ugly, semantically
 > meaningless line breaks. About 5 years ago, a comrade complained
 > to me about the problem, but I told him how to set his email program
 > to soft-wrap text in messages he was viewing, and I haven't had a
 > complaint from him or anybody else since!
 >
 > I'm curious, btw, what email client you're using, Louis, since it
 > seems to misbehave when encountering perfectly-correctly-formatted text .
 >
 > But I'll really try to remember to hard-wrap messages I send to this
 > list. Actually doing it isn't hard, since all I have to do is (1)
 > "Select All" and then (2) choose "Wrap Selection" from the Edit menu.

It's not about being able to unwrap the text; any half-wit with access
to a decent programming language can do that easily.  (Perl was my
taste, when I whipped up a script to wrap and unwrap.)  Some mail
clients do it, some don't.  Your mileage may vary.

No, it's about politeness.  There are reasons why a standard is adhered
to.  It is because, in writing, we wish for others to read.  It is an
obligation of the author that he make the effort necessary for his work
to be easily readable.  That an author does not wish to or is not able
to make such effort is an instant black mark against him, and in some
instances, sufficient cause to be cast forthwith into the Outer Darkness.

(Short form:  you can write it, but your audience doesn't *have* to read
it.)

There are certain forms, certain sacred commandments that must be
adhered to.  One of these commandments is that the format of a message
be determined by the least-capable mail client[1]; since there are
mailclients out there without the capability of wrapping to 80 columns,
wrapping text at 80 columns yourself is de rigueur.  72 columns is
better.  Most mailclients can be set to this standard, and it is wise to
do so; there are those out there who will consider non-wrapped text an
immediate "bozo flag" and drop it without even bothering to read it.  On
the other hand, nobody ever complained about mail that was wrapped
neatly at 72 columns and arranged in paragraphs.

That you have an option to autowrap is good.  If you must manually wrap
- something that plagued me on older Macintoshes, I must admit - an easy
way to do it is to use a fixed-size font, and to create a line in your
signature that represents the longest line you would wrap at.  In my
case, the line I chose is 72 columns.  (You can see it at the bottom of
this message.)  You should be able to see this line as you type; when
you reach its end, or near enough to it, whack the return key.  This
makes it difficult to edit, true - editing the length of one line
requires manually re-wrapping the whole paragraph - but if you are
producing a thought for a large mailing list of other people that is
valuable enough to read, why not spend the extra minute and make it look
good too?  And if the thought isn't valuable enough to take the time to
make it look good, then why bother posting it in the first place?  Think
of it as a comradely favor you do, if you will, and carry it over into
all aspects of your life.  Your readers will thank you for the time you
take.