[Marxism] What is the Marxist perspective in a case of an Israeli war against Iran?

Patrick Scott redpatrick1960-revolution at yahoo.co.uk
Mon Jul 21 09:11:49 MDT 2008

Strictly speaking Israel is not an imperialist state, rather it is a colonial settler state which currently functions as an agent in the region for US imperialism. Without US political, military and financial support Israel would very probably collapse like a house of cards. This is something that the early Zionist leaders realised all along, that Israel could only survive in an alliance with a leading imperialist power, which changed from Britain, to France, and finally the US. Of course Israel could in due course become an imperialist state. But if we use the criteria of Lenin and also Hilferding I don't think it is possible to talk of the existence of an Israeli finance capital at present.

The fact that one nation oppresses another does not automatically make it imperialist. Iran for example oppresses its Kurdish minority but that hardly makes Iran an imperialist country. The point is that national oppression and imperialist domination are not the same thing though they are very often interlinked. But for the record of course we should defend Iran against an Israeli attack (which IMHO is increasingly likely) given that Israel will be acting as the proxy for US and British imperialism and the imperialist powers generally.