[Marxism] Barbara Ehrenreich interview

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Wed Jul 23 09:37:10 MDT 2008

(This is a fairly good article by Emma Brockes, notorious for her
hatchet-job on Chomsky. Plus she makes Ehrenreich much more appealing
than she really is, a fairly challenging task.)

http://books.guardian.co.uk/interviews/story/0,,2291935,00.html
America's last taboo

Barbara Ehrenreich has been called a Marxist just for writing that the
US is not a classless society. But criticism has never stopped her
exposing social injustice before. Emma Brockes talks to her about her
new book, Barack Obama and the great wealth divide

Emma Brockes
Monday July 21, 2008

Twenty years ago, Barbara Ehrenreich wrote an article for the New York
Times in which she pointed out the growing inequality of American
society and was promptly denounced, by a rival paper, as a Marxist. "The
Washington Times is an extreme-rightwing publication," she says, so
there was no surprise there. But the paper's reaction underlined a
general principle: that while one can say "fairly wild" things about
race and gender in the US, there persists a certain coyness about class.
"There's this powerful myth that America doesn't have classes; that
they're an ancient English or European thing that we abolished. And that
if you're not rich, it's your own damn fault."

Now 66, Ehrenreich has devoted most of her career to disproving this
maxim. Her 2001 bestseller Nickel and Dimed was an account of the year
she spent trying to eke out an existence on the minimum wage, which
caused affluent readers everywhere to exclaim guiltily: "We had no
idea!" She reported that companies cheat their staff of wages (there are
70 lawsuits pending); limit the number of toilet breaks staff take;
forbid them from talking to each other or using "profanity" on the
premises, and that the cleaner you hired through a "reputable" firm is
probably made to clean your house while sick or injured. The book's
success owed much to the personal journey of Ehrenreich herself, who
suggested the idea to her editor for a younger journalist to take on.
But she fitted the profile of the invisible worker - middle-aged, female
and knackered. Once in situ, she was bullied by various bosses and
forced to retire each night to a motel because she couldn't afford a flat.

Her latest book, which in the US is called This Land Is Their Land:
Reports from a Divided Nation, is the animating force behind all this, a
collection of columns that almost amounts to a manifesto. The title
comes from a Woody Guthrie song, which Ehrenreich can hardly bear to
listen to these days. She writes: "I flinch when I hear Woody Guthrie's
line, 'This land belongs to you and me'. Somehow, I don't think it was
meant to be sung by a chorus of hedge-fund operators." (The book's UK
publisher evidently didn't feel Guthrie's song travelled well, and has
opted for the title Going to Extremes instead.)

Ehrenreich's skill, apart from the sheer quality of her writing, is to
illustrate her opinions with wave after wave of examples, of unglamorous
labour disputes and everyday injustices that don't get much of a look-in
elsewhere. Through them she details how wealth in America has
transferred from the bottom to the top, thanks to tax cuts for the rich
and Bush's reluctance to regulate the markets, and exposes the fallacy
that "growth" as measured by GDP is, for the majority of Americans,
synonymous with better living.

"It was just so fascinating to me, without being an economist, to see
how in the past few years growth has become completely decoupled from
wages or the real conditions of what we call working people," she says.
"And the reason they were so decoupled is because of the huge
inequality. So you could have many [economic] indicators looking very
sunny and good, but you're talking about a population that is so divided
there's not an average there any more."

A book about the joylessness of the American right must struggle to
avoid matching it with a litany of dreary, rival orthodoxies. But
Ehrenreich has never been dour, nor for that matter predictable. She
lives in the historic town of Alexandria, just south of Washington DC,
in a jolly chaos of papers and magazines. On the mantelpiece is a card
that reads, "I am not, therefore I buy", but she is as suspicious of
self-denial as she is of self-indulgence, both of which she sees as
affectations. In one unexpected column, Ehrenreich flies at Jane Brody,
the health editor of the New York Times, who throughout the 90s
championed with great influence the virtues of a low-fat, high-carb
diet. As well as questioning the health benefits of Brody's principles,
Ehrenreich calls them a way of enabling the well-off to feel virtuous
merely by indulging their own narcissism. "The low-fat diet has been the
hair shirt under the fur coat - the daily deprivation that offsets the
endless greed."

The "tireless preaching" that bedevils modern life elicits a resounding
screw-you from Ehrenreich. Her latest bugbear is "positive thinking",
the underlying philosophy of much life coaching and motivational
speaking, which she came across during the research for Bait and Switch,
the follow-up to Nickel and Dimed. In it, she spent a year trying to
expose white-collar office life but was scuppered by not being able to
get a job. Instead Ehrenreich fell into the hands of the gannets who
feed on the unemployed and sell them reassurances that getting a job is
just a question of attitude. This was illustrated by cheerful Kimberly,
a "co-active coach" whom Ehrenreich employed and ended up wanting to
kill. As the economy recedes, you wonder if Kimberly and her ilk will
disappear. "I tend to think that the irrational, delusional approaches
will persist," she warns.

Ehrenreich is by training a scientist, with a degree in chemistry and a
PhD in cell biology. As a child she saw both sides of the economic
divide. Her father was a copper miner from Montana who got an education
and eventually qualified as a metallurgist and made it on to the
corporate ladder at Gillette. "He was a very exceptional person, as he'd
be the first to tell you. But he never - nor did my mother - say about
people who didn't do as well, 'Oh we did it, so they can do it.' They
recognised that theirs was an unusual trajectory."

Did they identify as working-class?

"No. I think they would have said middle-class. But I think my father
always thought that he didn't fit in. He was too rough-edged. And he had
a lot of contempt for, say, Ivy League types or MBA types."

What she sees as the stigmatisation of the sick in the US is a reaction
in part to a "strange little detail" of her childhood. Her mother, who
was politically more radical than her father and whom the young
Ehrenreich would look at in alarm sometimes and wonder if she was a
communist, had been brought up by her Christian Scientist grandparents.
"And in no other way was my mother continuing to be a Christian
Scientist, except for one thing: health. It was very bad to get sick. I
remember when I had trouble seeing the blackboard in about seventh
grade, she said, "People in our family don't wear glasses." Ehrenreich
smiles ruefully.

Her son is a writer and her daughter a lawyer, (Ehrenreich is divorced;
she moved to Alexandria to be near her two grandchildren) and half of
her family still lives on low wages; her sister and her husband have
just been forced to cancel their health insurance. I wonder if she had
ethical qualms about Nickel and Dimed; isn't there something unsavoury
about a comfortable journalist pretending to be poor and then being paid
a lot of money to write about it?

"Well you know, that never entered my mind . . . what began to bother me
a little bit was that there was a deception involved; that I had to tell
people that I was working these jobs because I needed the money, which
wasn't true. But I always tried at the end to tell people I had got to
know what the truth was. And then you can work off the guilt of any
money by giving it away. Easily fixed."

Until the success of that book she had been freelance, and the security,
she says, has been wonderful. She hasn't had a staff position since her
first job working for the New York City government as a health planner,
which she left after seven months when she decided that "the government
was selling out to private interests" and went to work for a "radical
collective" lobbying for better healthcare in the city. "That's where I
started writing, because we had a newsletter and I loved to do
investigative pieces."

Nowadays, people write to Ehrenreich with their workplace horror
stories. The most shocking in the new book came from an ex-employee of
one large retailer, who told Ehrenreich that in 2003 the company held
him captive for six hours and interrogated him for giving a colleague a
discount on a videogame, before getting him to write a false confession
and firing him. A former colleague alleged that such incidents were not
unusual.

With Obama ascending there is hope of a sea change, although Ehrenreich
remains characteristically cautious. She sees him "tacking to the right"
and was disheartened by his choice of economic adviser, Jason Furman,
"who was to the far right of the Democratic party and made his
reputation as a defender of Wal-Mart [one of her principal targets in
Nickel and Dimed]. And so in a way, I thought, OK, I'm not going to pay
[Obama] any attention for a while."

I wonder if the huge success of Nickel and Dimed, and the tax bill that
presumably came with it, hasn't sent Ehrenreich skidding off a bit in
that direction. "Ha! I have to watch that kind of stuff. But no. I
always say, if I could pay more taxes and be in turn told for sure that
there would be decent schools for my grandchildren, that there would be
healthcare for them, that there would be social security, if there was
something in return, other than wars, it would be a wonderful thing."
She cackles. "As it is, I just get angrier and angrier"

· Going to Extremes: Notes From A Divided Nation is published by Granta
(£8.99).To order a copy for £8.99 with free UK p&p go to
guardian.co.uk/bookshop or call 0870 836 0875