[Marxism] Moderator's Note

Jscotlive at aol.com Jscotlive at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 06:55:21 MDT 2008

Haines:

Adopting the label of Marxist does not in itself make one an ally of
the  working class. An intelligent use of Marxist analysis, of which I
see  precious little evidence on this list, makes one an intellectual,
but not  necessarily in service to the working class. To exclude
reasoned and well  articulated questions because they don't happen to
coincide with one's own  Marxist position is elitist and makes the
group little better than a  religious sect.

Reply:

Mr Hartal's views were NOT worthy of anything other than Louis's decision  to
immediately unsub him. His views on Afghanistan and Obama's intention to pour
 in more troops were objectionable to anyone with an ounce of class
consciousness. I listened to Obama's speech in Berlin last night. It was a  disgrace,
filled with the empty rhetoric and Kennedyesque bombast of a committed
imperialist and free marketeer.

One of the reasons we subscribe to this list is that it is as an  antidote to
the deluge of pro-US imperialist/capitalist propaganda that is  heaped upon
us 24/7.

If Abu Hartal is not at the stage where the starting point of his  analysis
is the dialectical relationship between US intervention and an  increase in
violence, suffering, and human misery then surely an avowedly  Marxism discussion
list is not where he  belongs.