[Marxism] Moderator's note

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Fri Jul 25 07:15:18 MDT 2008

Haines Brown wrote:
> Now, I can think of replies that might counter Hartal's positions, but
> no one has offered any.

We can't waste time here refuting the proposition that the US military
(or any other imperialist garrisons) has a "humanitarian" role to play
in countries like Iraq, Afghanistan, Sudan, Somalia, etc. This is the
same thing as debating whether woman have the right to an abortion or
that undocumented workers should not be deported. The original Marxism
list had freebooting libertarians, liberals, conservatives and other
assorted trolls showing up and getting us sidetracked in such debates
that always turned into flame wars. I resolved back in May 1998 to not
allow this kind of nonsense to go on any longer. If Haines is not happy
with these ground rules, he can unsub himself or ask me or Les to do it
for him.