[Marxism] Moderator's note

Bob Hopson bobhpsn at yahoo.com
Fri Jul 25 09:11:19 MDT 2008

Haines Brown says:

> This is petty, childish and typical of the low level of
> this list. I
> would actually welcome here the contributions of a
> capitalist,
> conservative or imperialist if it served to raise the level
> of
> discussion to one worthy of the working class. Too many
> folks here
> betray the working class under the cover of a vacuous
> Marxism.

One of the reasons I like the Kasama blog so much is there is very good discussion between revolutionary and liberal positions that cut to the heart of the political issues without getting personal.  There are occasional posts by reactionaries but the list is very well moderated and things don't get out of hand.

For example, in this thread on Obama:

http://mikeely.wordpress.com/2008/07/21/reality-check-the-democrats-are-the-real-problem/

Carl Davidson, an ex-revolutionary turned liberal Obama supporter, talks about the need to support the defeat of Salfists/Al-Qaeda types (see comment #7 and on).  There is of course a number of sharp responses to his partial justification of the US military.

While getting into the politics behind such positions is clearly not worth the time of the heavyweights on this list, it seems like something worth addressing since the question of how to view liberal interventionism and the Obama campaign is a rather big one in progressive circles and among the population generally.  It seems to be the kind of question Marxism is meant to address head on.

I find the Marxism list a good place to lurk for learning more about philosophy, economic questions or books on Marxist historiography, but the political debate is pretty dismal.  I'll probably be mocked for saying that, but I suspect many other lurkers here feel the same way.