[Marxism] Israel's war on hairdressers and bakers

Dbachmozart at aol.com Dbachmozart at aol.com
Fri Jul 25 12:20:20 MDT 2008

The general of onions and garlic
  By _Gideon  Levy_ (mailto:levy at haaretz.co.il)
Here is the "next thing" in the war against terror: the war  against
hairdressers. After Hamas took over half the Palestinian people,  in no small measure
because of Israel's policies, after we tried to fight  Hamas with weapons and
siege, destruction and killing, mass arrests and  deportations, the Israel
Defense Forces and Shin Bet security service have  invented something new: a war
on shopping malls, bakeries, schools and  orphanages. First in Hebron, now in
Nablus. The IDF is closing beauty  salons, clothing stores and clinics, and
even one dairy farm, all on the  pretext that they are connected to Hamas, or
the rent they pay is given to  a terror organization.

These bizarre pictures of a closure order  issued by the general of command,
stuck on the window of a cosmetics store  or a physiotherapy center, of a
confiscation order stuck to a pita oven,  show that the Israeli occupation has
gone crazy. A few months ago I  visited the charity institutions and commercial
centers the IDF has begun  closing in Hebron; I saw infuriatingly absurd
scenes. A modern school,  intended for 1,200 students, standing closed on orders of
the GOC, and a  library for young people about to shut.

Thus the occupation proves  once again that there is no place in
Palestinians' lives that it cannot  reach, and that it has no boundaries: An army that
closes a school,  library, bakery and boarding school; soldiers who raid a
licensed  commercial television station, confiscating its equipment and threatening
its closure, as happened recently at the Afaq TV station in Nablus.

In Israel no voices were raised in protest, of  course, either against the
closing of the school or the closing of the TV  station. According to the
Israeli train of thought, if we close a bakery making  bagels for orphans, Hamas'
power will weaken; if we throw hundreds of needy  children into the streets from
their boarding school, they and their relatives  will become sympathetic to
Israel; if we close a crowded shopping mall, its  irate owners and customers
will become Fatah supporters.

The Israeli  occupation has not been seen for a long time in such a ludicrous
and inhumane  light as in these closure and confiscation operations ordered
by GOC Central  Command Gadi Shamni, the general of onions and garlic, to judge
by the produce  his soldiers confiscated from the Hebron food warehouses.
Illegal, certainly  immoral, but no less shortsighted, these operations broadcast
a message loud and  clear: The occupation has lost all moral inhibitions and
any shred of wisdom.  How wretched is an army that empties storerooms of food
and clothing for the  needy, how ridiculous that the GOC signs orders to close
hairdressing salons,  how pathetic is a military raid on bakeries and how
cruel is an occupation that  shuts down clinics on any pretext.

Hamas has entered the vacuum created  in the West Bank and Gaza. Like any
religious movement, it sprouted in the soil  of distress and poverty. Now Israel
comes along and says let's make the poverty  and distress even worse. Why? To
fight Hamas. There is nothing more absurd. Tens  of thousands of poor children
in the West Bank have nowhere to turn to aside  from the Islamic charities
that Israel suspects of being linked to Hamas,  although many were established
long before the organization was born. Israel  stopped seeing to the
population's welfare under the occupation, despite its  obligation under international
law, and the Palestinian Authority is also not  showing any special interest in
social and economic needs. Fatah has always  devoted more resources to
military camps, guns and official cars than to  orphanages, hospital beds and
dialysis machines.

This is the vacuum the  Islamic Movement is filling, offering an impressive
level of services. The  orphanage I visited in Hebron is one of the most
beautiful and well-cared for I  have seen. It takes quite a bit of cruelty to
threaten its closure, quite a bit  of audacity to argue that doing so will serve the
war on terror, and quite a bit  of stupidity to think _that such a measure
will help. The closing of stores and  malls will only land another blow on the
Palestinian economy, which even now is  struggling to hold up under conditions
of quarantine. Has Israel learned nothing  from the failure of the siege on
Gaza?

Anyone who visits the charity  institutions would see that not all the money
flowing to these organizations is  earmarked for buying suicide belts and
explosives. The West Bank's residents  cannot be simultaneously imprisoned,
prohibited from earning a living and  offered no social-welfare assistance while we
strike at those who are trying to  do so, whatever their motives. If Israel
wants to fight the charitable  associations, it must at least offer alternative
services. On whose back are we  fighting terror? Widows? Orphans? It's
shameful.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1001358.html_
(http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1001358.html)

We have it in our power to begin the world  over again –Thomas Paine

FanHouse Fantasy Football today.