[Marxism] Celia Hart: The FARC - today more than ever

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Fri Jul 25 14:00:02 MDT 2008

As an editor, I am ultimately responsible for the materials which are
posted to CubaNews list, because for the most part it's moderted.
As most of its readers know, I do not necessarily agree with all of
what's posted, but materials for the information of the readership.

Since CubaNews began translating Celia Hart's many writings about
Cuba and other topics for the English-speaking public, it's important
that it be made clear that while I appreciate the voice she brings to
a number of subjects, I do not agree with everything she writes. I
believe that what Celia Hart has to say about Ingrid Betancourt here
is quite mistaken, and, for one, I'm delighted that Betancourt no
longer being held hostage in Colombia. It's no surprise that she
thanked those who got her out of captivity. Why wouldn't Betancourt
be grateful for her being rescued? Wouldn't anyone feel the same?

Something needs to be done to change the political equation in Colombia.
Fidel Castro's call for the FARC to release everyone in its holding is
one which could have that kind of effect, if it were done listened to.
Perhaps Anthony can tell us if it's had any impact. I would imagine his
call to release all the hostages was widely publicized. I would however
also imagine Fidel's call for the FARC to retain its weapons got rather
less publicity.

Personally, I've no solution to propose for the problems of Colombia as a
whole. They are long-standing, deep and can't be simply resolved, but
something certainly needs to be done to change the Colombian equation.
Let's see how the situation continues to evolve. Celia Hart's commentary
is far too long to post to Marxmail.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

p.s., The following news has just begun to hit the international media:
Colombian FARC Releases Eight Hostages

Bogota, Jul 24 (Prensa Latina) Eight hostages that the FARC
(Revolutionary Armed Forces of Colombia) captured recently, while
sailing Atrato river, Choco Department, were released.

The Colombian Army’s 15th Brigade said the group was handed in to the
Red Cross, which sailed through the river up to Bete Municipality,
from where the Army took them to their relatives in Quibdo.

The FARC just withheld the grown-up children of a court clerk of the
Riosucio locality.
Colombian rebel group FARC releases 8 hostages

www.chinaview.cn 2008-07-25 10:16:21

BOGOTA, July 24 (Xinhua) -- The Revolutionary Armed Forces of
Colombia (FARC) has released eight people that were kidnapped two
weeks ago and handed them over to a branch of the International
Committee of the Red Cross(ICRC) in Choco state, the Colombian Army
announced Thursday.

The people were released "under the pressure made by the army in the
sector of Puerto Palacio," General Juan Rodriguez, commander of the
7th division of the army, said.

However, Victor Mosquera, civil defense director for the Choco state
in western Colombia, said FARC released these people "voluntarily."

The eight Afro-Colombians were kidnapped last week while traveling on
the country's northwestern jungle rivers.

An ICRC spokesperson said the release came after discreet dialogue
between the parties concerned and the ICRC will continue to work as a
neutral mediator.

This was the first such hostage handover since FARC, Colombia's
largest anti-government group, was tricked in a hostage-rescue
operation by the army on July 2 during which disguised Colombian
soldiers arrived at a FARC camp and told the guards that FARC's top
leader wanted to see the hostages.

The masqueraded army then took them all aboard a helicopter and
revealed their true identity. The freed included politician Ingrid
Betancourt, who has French-Colombian citizenship, and three U.S.
citizens.

Editor: Jiang Yuxia

KAOSENLARED
The FARC, today more than ever

By Celia Hart Santamaria
(For Kaosenlared) [18.07.2008 23:19]

http://www.walterlippmann.com/ch-07-18-2008.html
A CubaNews translation.
Edited by Walter Lippmann.
> [...]
>strongholds in Our America.
>
>Neither the stories already known nor those yet to be told, nor the wildest
>imagination would suffice to detract from our amazement at so much courage,
>personal generosity and political maturity.
>
>And here we are, thanks to the integrity of those branded as “crazy” by the
>whole political spectrum of those days. There are the horrific images of
>torture and murder at a time when it seemed we would have to give everything
>up for lost, including that picture of two women who had to relinquish all
>their worldly goods as a result of that event, although they surely earned
>heaven in return.
>
>History tends to repeat itself, and that’s not only one of its charms but
>also its main virtue: we can use it as a means of comparison, association
>and guidance. We keep its other face in our academies to make wise
 which is also important, much as God thinks
>otherwise.
>
>Today’s left-wing reformists are definitely worthy of modern-day
>psychological studies. They can’t understand us, worn as they are by so many
>liberal slogans and irrevocably tuned to the relative nature of events to
>justify almost anything and change ideas and speeches in a flash with a
>simple phrase like “things were different then”. Nicolò Machiavelli himself
>would be appalled by their babyish way of doing politics.
>
>That any historical analysis must be put into the right time and space
>context is beyond doubt, but never a revolutionary principle. Principles are
>absolute.
>
>If they only knew, those latter-day reformists, that Albert Einstein’s
>Special Theory of Relativity is largely based on a constant –the speed of
>light– they would keep their mouths shut! Such constant, c = 300,000 km/s,
>stands as the cornerstone of the blessed theory. Therefore, since it depends
>on no system of reference, the speed of light is unchanging. And so is the
>consequence, immutable regardless of any reference.
>
>Nature and the heart always abide by the same laws.
>
>That’s why I’d like with all my heart to share with the guerrillas, trade
>unionists and fighters in general from beautiful Colombia the celebration of
>my 26th of July, the National Rebelliousness Day when Cuban youths, guns in
>hand (and I mean GUNS IN HAND) honored José Martí.
>
>And I don’t say it because they appear to be in the minority, even for a
>left-wing movement. Quite the opposite: I’d do it because they have become
>the target of criticism by people we all respect very much. I’d do it
>precisely in his name, the most respected of all
 my Fidel, Fidel Castro,
> [...]
>
>I dissent from James Petras’s view that the Colombian guerrilla has no
>bearing on the episodes experienced by the beautiful Cuban guerrilla headed
>by “intellectuals” like Fidel and Che. I disagree with him in that point,
>but his thorough appraisal is no less commendable because of that. On the
>contrary, it makes it stronger.
>
>Manuel Marulanda was an ignorant peasant no more than Fidel and Che were
>intellectuals playing with squirt guns. As guerrillas, all three were
>committed to the Revolution and tailored their fight to the specific
>realities of their milieux. That’s how far I will go into Fidel’s Pax Romana
>reflection and Petras’s eight theses. Tears and confusion usually give bad
>advice, so I’d better give time a minute –if it ever wears a watch– and wait
>to see whether the same attacks will be launched on someone like “Tirofijo”,
>recently deceased, for being the world’s “oldest” guerrilla and best
>revolutionary. If so, we would have to study Fidel’s reflections a thousand
>times over and read between the lines, for I’d like to think, and above all,
>believe –and more than believe, feel– that they’re about something more than
>just mere criticism of the FARC and Marulanda.
>
>No matter how compelling reason may be, I won’t admit that there are affairs
>of state involved, as any logic along those lines will come up against the
>interests of a Revolution that Fidel has enthroned for good.
>
>José Martí said:
>
>“That is why in America the imported book has been conquered by the natural
>man. Natural men have conquered learned and artificial men. The native
>half-breed has conquered the exotic Creole. The struggle is not between
>civilization and barbarity, but between false erudition and Nature”. (3)
>
>And that’s what Marulanda was: a natural man of Our America.
>
>III.   The American Union is impossible if the enemy is involved
>
>Whether or not he or his brand-new Defense Minister or his wife or his cats
>are reelected, Álvaro Uribe is a fascist, and the Colombian government is a
>murderous government unworthy of being called friendly or brotherly, as my
>brother Chávez told him (4). Uribe can’t be a contributor or anything like
>that, and has to be excluded on principle from the Latin American Union.
>
>Having a Latin American Union with self-confessed traitors in our ranks
>would be –at best– naïve, and a slip-up none of our good dead would ever
>forgive.
>
>Let’s read again about what José Martí called Our America! Again, America is
>not just a regional project. I insist, because it’s on behalf of our
>supposed unity that many reformists pretend to sell us all those despicable
>worms, including Uribe, his aristocrat ministers and one Ingrid Betancourt.
>
>So there goes José Martí again:
>
>“Only those born prematurely are lacking in courage. Those without faith in
>their country are seven-month weaklings. Because they have no courage, they
). The ships should be loaded with those harmful
>insects that gnaw at the bone of the country that nourishes them. If they
>are Parisians or from Madrid, let them go to the streetlamp-lined Prado, to
>boast around, or to Tortoni’s, in high hats (
). These sons of our America,
> [...]
>
>Tel Aviv’s Mossad, whose advisors helped Uribe so much, knows very well
>about treating female hostages.
>
>Ingrid enjoys perfect health, as evidenced by the images of her kissing and
>hugging the worst heads of state in the world.
>
>So much determination to save this princes should, or better yet, can have
>an important logistical influence on any plan to rescue the Mexican women
>who are murdered in Ciudad Juárez and Atenco, prevent any more innocent
>little girls in Palestina from being torn apart by Zionist bombs, or at
>least help us punish those responsible for these and many other crimes

>Well, judging by the way things are going in this mad world, it would be
>harldy surprising if the girls were blamed for not doing their homework
.

>IV.   To Hugo Chávez
>
>May no one doubt my love, respect and admiration for the president of
>Bolivarian Venezuela. There are plenty of my writings out there in support
>of his project, for which I’d be willing to give my life.
>
>But that’s not enough. Honesty is one of the Revolution’s weapons,
>especially because it’s endorsed by commitment. I followed Chávez’s lead
>when I lacked Fidel’s voice that horrible July 31, 2006. And what does
>Chávez tell us now? That Uribe’s captives are better off than FARC’s
>hostages (4) “because they can be visited”. Is that the only reason?
>
>In that case I can tell my Bolivarian comrade that I know a couple of
>innocent Cubans, René and Gerardo –two of our Cuban Five– who can’t be
>visited by their wives Olga and Adriana because they tried to prevent
>kidnappings, illegal trade in immigrants and other actions aimed at
>decimating a small people.
>
>They and the other three comrades were kidnapped by the U.S. ten years ago.
>Yes, kidnapped, just like Ingrid Betancourt was, only much worse! And I
>regret that the Colombian army won’t help me release them from that steel
>jungle. In the meantime, they know nothing about their wives. Adriana went
>through vile humiliations for hours in the U.S. before she was forced to fly
>back to Cuba without even knowing how many hairs his joyful, optimistic
>husband had lost ever since he was imprisoned. Young and healthy, she’s one
>of the most beautiful women I’ve ever met, perhaps bound to die childless,
>unlike Ingrid Betancourt.
>
>We’ve also overlooked two details owing to this bout of collective amnesia:
>a) FARC’s unilateral decision to release two women, and b) the Continent’s
>top genocidal government sequestered Clara Rojas’s little Enmanuel, a child
>born in the jungle. Whether he was conceived as a result of rape or an act
>of love under the stars, we don’t know. Clara is yet to make clear whether
>she was mistreated or doted upon by a FARC member who deserved to father the
>boy. Be that as it may, this story of love –or lack thereof– is worthy of a
>movie script better than the one about Ingrid Betancourt’s alleged

 and we her

> [...]
>president.
>
>Once snatched out of FARC’s “ferocious clutches”, begging for mercy on the
>hundreds of prisoners held in her own country or the U.S. and calling the
>army to account for so many dead Colombians instead of congratulating them
>so much is the least she could have. So much so when we know her rescuing
>didn’t really take place as they say

>Unfortunately, the media have become weapons of mass destruction which
>enthrall us with their excellent making, images and words.
>
>VI.   Che and Rafael Correa
>
>As I said from the start, history is like sea waves: they go up and down.
>Smart fishermen know it only too well, so they wait for the right time to
>stretch their drift nets.
>
>Ecuadorian president Rafael Correa, for whom all men and women –especially
>us WOMEN– would be capable of mopping the sky with a single pail of water–
>said: “They know who provides the best support and the best bases to Uribe:
>the FARC, whose foolish acts make him all the more popular” (8). Is Uribe’s
>popular thanks to the FARC??? Who would believe it!!! If that’s so, he
>should pay the guerrilla group a share of what he gets through dubious
>channels.
>
>I don’t believe that anymore than I believe last March’s raid, where
>civilians were wounded and a number of guerrillas and an Ecuadorian peasant
>were shot at point-blank range, is the result of FARC’s existence.
>
>Rafael Correa was very much to the point in the OAS Assembly last March when
>he rebuffed the war on terror as a justification for the foray into Ecuador.
>
>If there’s anything captivating about Correa is that he sails under no
>political flag to stand for his principles, defend his country and face up
>to the Empire.
>
>But when it comes to our summertime princess, he charmed no one. “How great
>that [Betancourt] has been freed, and how bad has the FARC looked!” (8).
>Ingrid, however, rooted for and commended the Colombian army for the March
>1st raid, tagged by Correa himself as one of the worst actions ever
>conducted in America.
>
>The ex-hostage condoned the shame, disrespect and larceny committed in
>Rafael Correa’s land.
>
>Yet, that was not the Ecuadorian president’s biggest mistake. He put his
>foot in his mouth deep enough to outmatch Hugo Chávez!
>
>Rafael Correa resorted to the most unsuitable “Saint” to disqualify the
>guerrilla, a Saint you can hardly mention unless you’re carrying a rifle on
>your shoulder or shedding a tear over your helpless inability to follow his
>lead. Therefore, he mentioned Che Guevara in vain. You don’t do that, much
>less to lash against a guerrilla force in Latin America, with or without
>hostages!
>
>As a Christian, Correa is well aware that thou shalt not take the Lord’s
>name in vain. And Che Guevara is the revolutionary’s God
 if we had one.

>Let’s see then what He, Che, said: “The capture of power is the unique
>strategic possible aim of the revolutionary forces, and everything must be
>bound by that premise”. (9)
>
>That’s what the FARC and the ELN are trying to do. It’s all about seizing
>power, and not only the government, my friends. Being in government is
>merely the first step
 provided that accomplishment can be called a step.

.

>Now that was a real princess, made of a mold you never find around anymore,
>who knew how to warn Bolívar against Santander. Manuelita, the liberator of
>America, died in poverty, forgotten by everyone and rescued by none except
>history.
>
>VII.
and in the end, only Che