[Marxism] Surprise! Obama and McCain in full agreement on Iraq

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Sun Jul 27 10:03:31 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 27, 2008 at 11:36 AM, Mark Lause <markalause at gmail.com> wrote:

> Because McCain says he only wants as many troops there as conditions
> require to keep control.

McCain says he wants to keep as many troops there, combat and
non-combat alike, as conditions require.

Obama sys he will "withdraw combat troops", but keep as many
non-combat troops there as conditions require.

Seems like a pretty important distinction to me.

Look, the spurious "Obama and McCain are identical" slogan bears no
relation to reality. They are similar, of course, in the abstract
sense that both represent the bourgeoisie (as they cannot but).
However, as Marxists we make a mistake if we ignore the particular and
focus only on the abstract. In the particular, they have important
differences in what sectors are supporting them, which sectors of the
bourgeoisie they are representing, and how. If we pretend that these
differences do not exist, then our analysis will go nowhere, and
Marxist analysis will be discredited.