[Marxism] ALERT: Teens charged in fatal beating of Mexican immigrant

Sky Keyes-Vogt skeyesvogt at gmail.com
Mon Jul 28 09:04:19 MDT 2008

Racism/Xenophobia in full effect

*Teens charged in fatal beating of Mexican immigrant*
http://www.cnn.com/2008/CRIME/07/25/immigrant.killing.ap/index.html

*PORT CARBON, Pennsylvania (AP)* -- Three white teens were charged Friday in
what officials said was an epithet-filled fatal beating of an illegal
Mexican immigrant in a small northeast Pennsylvania coal town.

Brandon J. Piekarsky, 16, and Colin J. Walsh, 17, were charged as adults
with homicide and ethnic intimidation in the July 12 attack on Luis Ramirez.

A third teen, Derrick M. Donchak, 18, was charged with aggravated assault,
ethnic intimidation and other offenses. All are from Shenandoah, where the
attack occurred.

Ramirez, 25, was beaten to death after an argument with a group of youths
that police said included high school football players. Authorities could
not immediately say whether any of the suspects were members of the team,
but they confirmed that all three used ethnic slurs during the fight.

"As a result of this crime, a young man has lost his life. Many other lives
have been devastated, and the borough of Shenandoah has been filled with
tensions between many ethnic groups," Schuylkill County District Attorney
James Goodman said.

"Now that the criminal charges have been filed, we must let this case be
handled in the criminal justice system," he said.

Police said that as many as six teens were involved in the fight, which
ended with Ramirez in convulsions and foaming at the mouth. He died July 14
of head injuries.

Crystal Dillman, the victim's 24-year-old fiancee, who is white and grew up
in Shenandoah, has said Ramirez was often called derogatory names, including
"dirty Mexican," and told to return to his homeland.

"I plan on moving out of this town as fast as I can. Not because I'm scared.
I just don't want to see my children have to deal with what their father
dealt with," Dillman said.

Piekarsky and Walsh were being held without bail, while Donchak was held in
lieu of $75,000 bail.

Lawyers for Piekarsky and Walsh said that their clients were not guilty and
that there was no evidence to support the homicide charges. They also said
they would try to have the case removed to juvenile court.

Donchak declined comment.