[Marxism] Exaggerating Chinese economic power

S. Artesian sartesian at earthlink.net
Tue Jul 29 16:19:51 MDT 2008

No not the BDI, I wasn't referring to any index.   Geez Marvin, the Baltic
Dry Index refers to dry bulk cargo, not tankers not container ships.
Think I cited it, on list, once or maybe twice.  Hardly frequently

Yes,  2/3 of the growth in world trade was due to decline in exchange rates
for the dollar, this includes all the trade from the Asian NIEs and China.
But I did not say that the value of total exports from China to US
declined-- I said container shipments declined.  Container trade, which had
been the fastest growing, and most unbalanced portion of the East/West trade
has declined.  I think that's an ominous turn-- for China and the NIE's.

So.... you really think that China will have uninterrupted growth--
impervious to downturns?

Wow?  If only Marx could see this...

I think we really need to explore the strength of China's "domestic market,"
which was exactly my reason for asking those "When did we" questions.  I
don't think China's internal markets, productivity, infrastructure,
performing-debt ratios are strong at all.  In fact, just the opposite.