[Marxism] Iraq still poised to explode

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 19:55:20 MDT 2008

On Tue, Jul 29, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Eli Stephens
<elishastephens at hotmail.com> wrote:

> Surge proponents frame the issue in terms of "declining death rates." After
> hearing over and over that deaths are down 10 or 20 percent, the general public
> begins to forget actual deaths. These figures hide the devastating human toll
> that continues today.
>
> Here are the real numbers for Iraq: 466 violent civilian deaths in January, 633
> in February, 968 in April, 505 in May, and 448 in June. This last number, 448,
> we are supposed to celebrate as some great historic low, a sign of progress.

Sorry, but the word "progress"  always implies a relative measurement.
Rather than the absolute numbers, one would need to compare the
numbers with the corresponding pre-"surge" numbers to ascertain
whether this claim by the bourgeoisie that there has been "progress",
has merit or not.

It is not productive for Marxists to deny empirical, quantitative
measures that are easily verifiable.

Le Monde Diplomatique, no friend of the right-wing, says: