[Marxism] What did Lenin learn from Hegel?

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Tue Jul 29 21:36:57 MDT 2008

On Sun, Jul 20, 2008 at 2:57 PM, Richard Fidler <rfidler_8 at sympatico.ca> wrote:
> You will find a pretty comprehensive answer in Kevin Anderson's
> "Lenin, Hegel, and Western Marxism" (U of Illinois Press, 1995).

Thanks to all who responded. I got hold of and read the above book.

But the best answer I got was from Renton's new bio of CLR James,
where he mentions James as having pointed out that Lenin, in 1917,
thought that "Imperialist War can be turned into Civil War" -- an
insight that he got from Hegel's idea of the Unity of Opposites. Also,
James was impressed that Lenin wrote in his Hegel notebook "LEAP LEAP
LEAP" -- Hegel taught Lenin that dialectical leaps are possible and
progress is often discrete and not continuous, and so jumps are
possible.

This is very interesting as it seems to open up to a
spontaneist/voluntarist reading of Leninism -- while remaining rooted
in dialectics.

On a related note, I'm trying to read CLR James' "Notes on
Dialectics". MIA has only a small section online, and the book is out
of print. Anyone who knows of an online version, or has a PDF, or
would even like to sell a used copy, please contact me in private....

Thanks,

RC