[Marxism] Daniel Miller on Zizek's new book: "Zizek has gone mad."

Mehmet Cagatay mehmetcagatayaydin at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 30 08:42:33 MDT 2008

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists wrote:

"I strongly disagree with this supposedly devastating review. I have
read "In Defense of Lost Causes" and I found it very refreshing and
wonderful.

No wonder the Nation's liberal-leaning reviewers don't like Zizek's
unapologetic Marxism....

RC.

The review is at:
<http://www.thenation.com/doc/20080721/miller>"

I read the book recently and I think what makes these left-leaning humanists so irritated about "In Defense of Lost Causes" is the return of something, or "Das Thing" of Marxism, which is impossible to be repressed or domesticated by the capitalist order. Here is a short quote from the book:

"Commenting on the growing resonance of Alain Badiou's thought, Alain Finkelkraut recently characterized it as "the most violent philosophy, symptomatic of the return of radicality and of the collapse of anti-totalitarianism" -an honest and surprised admission of the failure of the long and arduous work of all kinds of "anti-totalitarians, "defenders of human rights, combatants against "old leftist paradigms," from the French nouveaux philosophes to the advocates of a "second modernity." What should have been dead, disposed of, thoroughly discredited, is returning with a vengeance. One can understand their despair: how can it be that, after having explained for decades not only in scholarly treatises, but also in the mass media, to anyone who wanted to listen (and to many who did not) the dangers of totalitarian " Master-Thinkers" this kind of philosophy is returning in its most violent form? Have people not caught on that the time of such dangerous
 Utopias is over? Or are we dealing with some  strange ineradicable blindness, or an innate anthropological constant, a tendency to succumb to totalitarian temptation? Our proposal is to turn the perspective around: as Badiou himself might put it in his unique Platonic way, true ideas are eternal, they are indestructible, they
always return every time they are proclaimed dead." (Zizek)

Mehmet Çagatay
http://weblogmca.blogspot.com/