[Marxism] Nation appeal for progressives to sign a letter to Obama

MICHAEL YATES mikedjyates at msn.com
Wed Jul 30 14:46:05 MDT 2008

I got an email urging me to sign on to a letter from progressives
to Obama. The letter signers want Obama to stick to the primary
season programs he supported as head of a vast movement for change.
Here is my reply:

"The signers of this letter are delusional if they believe that
Obama sits at the head of a dramatic grassroots movement.
What movement is this?  And I must not have noticed all
the progressive principles he stood for in the primaries.  Most of
the people on this list of signers are going to think themselves
very stupid after Obama becomes president, assuming he does,
and delivers not one progressive program.

That liberals can't see that US politics is so thoroughly compromised
that a run of the mill democrat like Obama can seem to them like a
radical is a telling sign of the fact that liberal politics is dead.  The editor of
the Nation, our labor federations, most of our unions, and our great
liberals seem happy to get any falling crumb from the table of the rich,
no matter the compromises they have to make."

Michael Yates

ps This letter reminds me of one sent by economists Sam Bowles and Herb Gintis
to Bill Clinton.  That one made me want to vomit."Accumulate, Accumulate!  That is Moses and the prophets."   Karl Marx