[Marxism] Query on China

Louis Proyect lnp3 at panix.com
Thu Jun 5 15:51:57 MDT 2008

>Could anyone please recommend some books that provide good analysis
>of the economic, social, and political developments in China
>beginning around the time of the Cheng Ho's voyages and continuing to
>the Revolution & Civil War?
>
>I tried the searching through the archives but had a lot of trouble
>narrowing down the search list to something manageable and useful.
>
>Thanks in advance for the help.
>
>Solidarity,
>Shawn

Jonathan Spence's "The Search for Modern China" starts with the Ming
Dynasty and goes to 1989. I would also look into John Fairbanks and
Orville Schell although neither of them has written anything that
covers as much history. All of them are liberals. On Marxist
scholarship, I would strongly recommend Maurice Meisner but his works
are strictly based on contemporary China.