[Marxism] Hungary, Cuba and NED polling

Shawn Redden wsredden at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 06:19:05 MDT 2008

Evidently the IRI has moved away from bankrolling coups in Haiti and
fixing elections in Venezuela to running unbiased public opinion
surveys like this one.  Whew!  That's a relief.  I wonder what their
board of trustees thinks about this shift:

http://www.iri.org/board.asp

More importantly, I wonder what their sole source of funding - the
United States government - thinks about it.  After all, one of their
founders said in 1991 that, "A lot of what we do today was done
covertly 25 years ago by the CIA."

There is, however, something that I find interesting about these two
'polls':  the young people in both cases seem to be the most ardent
supporters of a market based system that can deliver the important
things like shoes with lights in them.

Obviously this Cuba poll is absurd in the way that it frames the
question - "would you like ten million dollars or gangrene" - but can
we draw anything from the demographic breakdown of those polled?  Are
the numbers jimmied this way by the NED as a propaganda maneuver to
build a psuedo-fascist student left in Cuba as it has done in Eastern
Europe and as it is doing in Venezuela and Lebanon?  Or has
'globalization' really been successful insofar as one of its main
aims has been to propagandize on behalf of capitalism and create a
sense of hostility and impossibility to any alternatives?

Solidarity,
Shawn