[Marxism] Hungarians long for communism, Cubans long for market-system (?)

Ruthless Critic of All that Exists ok.president+marxml at gmail.com
Fri Jun 6 09:07:39 MDT 2008

On Fri, Jun 6, 2008 at 10:31 AM, Néstor Gorojovsky <nmgoro at gmail.com> wrote:

> "Would you rather live as you live in Cuba, or as
> you believe most people live in Jamaica (substitute Dominican
> Republic, Haiti, or whatever, ad libitum)?"

Detractors of Fidel always say that the comparison is invalid, because
even in 1958-59 Cuba was socially very advanced, with the best
literacy and health rates in Latin America -- certainly much more
advanced than Haiti, Dominican Rep. etc.

Also, the UN Human Development Index shows that currently even Uruguay
is better than Cuba in terms of human development. What to make of
this factoid? I have never seen this addressed. Is the UN using
imperialist measures to measure human development?