[Marxism] Chinese think tank on Cuba: "U.S. must rethink its policies toward Cuba"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 10:06:27 MDT 2008

It is useful to read information from sources which doesn't agree
with one's own opinions. We ought to pay some attention to things
other people are saying and doing. We don't want to emulate them,
no do we agree with any particular point they may make. But paying
attention to what our adversaries write and do can be informative
and useful. How can we learn anything if we already know everything?

Last time I looked, the ultra-rightist institutions and voices in
the United States had considerable political influence in country.

The main point of the posted material was to indicate the Chinese
solidarity with Cuba which is at odds with the attitude in the US
government which sees no problem having normal ties with China and
with Vietnam, while maintaining an implacable blockade against the
government and people of Cuba. The Chinese want their people to
read and study Fidel Castro's ideas. He was grateful for their
efforts and wrote a special preface for the Chinese edition of his
new book. Ratliff, no friend of Cuba nor of China, reflected the
expanded influence which China is having in Latin America, though
he of course doesn't feel any enthusiasm for it. At least he does
recognize it as a reality, one which he frets about.

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California
LOUIS PROYECT writes:
I often wonder if Walter reads some of the stuff he crossposts here,
especially the more obnoxious items like Ratliff's, a fellow at the
Hoover Institute. If he read this item and thinks it is of
inspirational value, that's all the more regrettable.

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"