[Marxism] Chinese think tank on Cuba: "U.S. must rethink its policies toward Cuba"

Walter Lippmann walterlx at earthlink.net
Sat Jun 7 10:50:04 MDT 2008

China's support for Cuba and China's expanded influence in the world
was the point of the article. It's not necessary to post disclaimers
for every item which is posted. Sometimes it's OK to assume that an
article is for information, and the reader can draw conclusions on
their own. We often post materials without comment, leaving it for
the reader to evaluate individually. It's quite boring to take it
as given that the reader can't figure out that a reactionary view
expressed by a reactionary individual is politically reactionary.

Personally, I don't subscribe to the view that China's motivations
are "anti-revolutionary". China's economic, political and military
support for Cuba are a good thing, even if their motivations are
not part of a world-historic strategy to advance the proletarian
revolution on the planet. Even if their motivations were simply to
advance their own national interests in the world, helping Cuba is
helps reduce the influence of Washington's blockade on the island.

China is a rapidly-industrializing Third World country which still
is led, last I looked, by the Chinese Communist Party. Because of
that, the fact that the Chinese operate a think-tank devoted to
the study of Cuba is of some significance. And the fact that they
want to bring out the writings of Fidel Castro in the Chinese
language for their own national audience is, at least to me, an
entirely positive thing. I realize that not everyone shares the
view that Fidel Castro's writings are all that useful, but that
is my individual point of view.

Through the years Ratliff's materials have been posted to the
CubaNews list, by me. Sometimes I've introduced them with the
occasional comment, sometimes not. It's boring to do that all of
the time, and most people understand Ratliff is a reactionary.
Anywhere, here's an introduction I provided two years ago and
it seems to continue to stand up pretty well, in my opinion:

Concern for the soul is somewhat outside of my frame of reference.
Personally I'm a Jewish atheist and don't invest time or energy in
this sub-division of intellectual life. For those of a spiritual
orientation, I'd like to recommend this from Progreso Weekly, the
website based in Miami led by Cuban-Americans who want to see the
normalization of relations between the United States and Cuba:
http://progreso-weekly.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=492&Itemid=1

Walter Lippmann
Los Angeles, California

LOUIS PROYECT writes:
I think everybody understands that this article was not crossposted
in order to expose China's anti-revolutionary motivations. You posted
it because it was meant to get us on the Chinese Friendship Society
bandwagon. In the future, please try to read what you crosspost here
in advance. If you did read it and posted it without taking violent
exception to Ratliff's poisonous opinions, god have mercy on your soul.

.

     "Cuba - Un Paraíso bajo el bloqueo"